Translate

Wednesday, January 3, 2018

Yamaha CR-420 Receiver

I stumbled upon this mint, mint, mint, did I say mint? Yamaha CR-420 receiver yesterday.





I like early Yamaha solid state receivers, they are up there with early Sherwoods. This silver faced unit from circa 1977 is rated at 22WPC in 8 ohms and is in spectacular condition. I paid a bit of a premium for it in the thrift shop terms but a unit of this condition had to purchased and the dollar value was worth it.

Although I generally do not use solid state units anymore I do like to have at least one unit on hand for certain speakers. Currently I have a NAD 7130 that matches really well with the NAD Model 20's, this pairing is for sale for $300 and is simply stunning. The NAD receiver I will only sell as a complete set leaving me with just this Yamaha.

Inside the unit was cleaned out and I was surprised to see two nice big Elna 6800uf caps and universal joints that connect the input circuit to the switches on the front, one does not see this type of workmanship in today's disposable audio era, very cool.


 Another little attention to detail is the twin headphone jack and the Yamaha headphone jack plug, still intact after 40 years, pretty cool to see that.


I will try this unit out with the Speakerlab Super 7's and I am expecting an incredible sweet sound.

6 comments:

  1. Did you like it while you had it? Thoughts, comments? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoy this receiver a lot and always liked the low watt gear. I tend to listen to tube amps so most solid state stuff eventually goes back up for sale.

      Delete
  2. Vickie, if you are still looking. I currently have one on my bench that is in pristine condition and is getting a full recap with Nichicon Muse, Gold and Elna II caps. All the transistors are good and the unit has never seen high temperatures. Reach to reserve if your interested as these are a favorite for entry into the audiophile arena.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm selling mine and also an Akai AM-2400. I tried them both out as I haven't used them for about 20 years. I tried the Yamaha first and the pots were still a little scratchy, but it sounded great. I then tried the Akai, and it was night and day - the Yamaha CRUSHED the Akai. Cleaner, almost 3-D type sound. I was completely blown away.

    ReplyDelete