Translate

Monday, June 12, 2017

Mission 717 Speakers

Always a soft spot for early Farad Azima and brother Henry Azima Mission speakers.

This pair of white faced Mission 717 came up locally and I could not resist buying these beauties. The white faced with the Mission logo are my favorite generation of Missions.




This matched pair was in exceptionally good condition and just needed a light sanding to the cabinet and a coating of really nice wood oil.

The drivers for this pair are made with Franch Saire woofers and Audex tweeters. The woofers will never need to be re foamed.

There is a great article at audio4maniacs on the history of these white baffled Missions and it is worth reading to see what Henry and Farad where shooting for in the development of this speaker line.

I have had two other pairs of the white baffled Mission 700 speakers and I like these much better due to the French drivers.

Here is the original brochure form the 80's on these speakers.


At 92db sensitivity these are good for the tube amp.

I like early Mission loudspeakers and have had many over the years. They are very alive and musical with great dynamic range.

I have had a lot of speakers over the years and Missions are one of my favorites, there is something about them and I love having them.

17 comments:

  1. Just refurbished a pair of 717s they sound great

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a pair of these passed onto me from my parents who owned them from new. They are by far one of the nicest and best sounding speakers I have heard and always a pleasure to listen to. I purchased another pair and had them shipped back to the UK from America, unfortunately the tweeters no longer work but new ones are still produced in France for a reasonable price.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I have exactly the same model from my grand parents and the sound is still today pretty good. Since the last few days, I noticed I have to change a woofer (10-81-08) and I was wondering if someone have any advices about where I can find a used one.

    Thanks !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hugo, I don't have a spare 717 woofer that is original. Ebay would be your source for that. I do have 2 Audax 8 inch polypropylene woofers that could work. Mission did use those woofers at one time.

      Email me if you want them

      Delete
    2. I have a pair of these Mission 717 speakers if you are still interested. I'm selling them for a lady that is selling her house and moving. She had them hooked to a Sony model STR-DH130 audio control center. She is looking to get $300 for the set but will split the speakers from the Amp. You can email me at michel@bell.net

      Delete
    3. Hi, I am not really in the market for a pair right now. Thank you.

      Delete
  4. I absolutely love my mission 717s. My question is what oil did you use as mine could use a refresh. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi. I lightly sand with 400 grit or steel wool first, depending on the depth of scratches. I use Circa 1850 Terra Nova NaturOil.

      Delete
  5. I bought two of these new many years ago, I have a pair of B&W' on the front, and the missions on the other side of the room. They highs are wonderful. but the center of the cones on the woofer are going bad. Does anyone have an idea if replacements are available?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Best to keep an eye on Ebay or put a wanted ad on Canuck Audio Mart.

      Delete
  6. Just picked up a pair for £50,sound great on my valve amp,well happy with them

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just tired posting here. Is there a time delay?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello, I’m not sure if what I am about to write is a bit of a faux pas, but here goes.

    I picked up a pair of 717’s and was wondering if I could, and how, turn them into Bluetooth capable beauties?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, yes there is a delay, I try to keep the spam comments moderated as lots of people try to post links to their site on here.

      If you want to make them Bluetooth capable by all means go for it, send a photo to see how you did it.

      Thanks.

      Delete
  9. These look absolutely stunning in your pictures, well done. They are as much a piece of art and furniture as well as how they sound. I have seen a pair locally for fifty pounds and im considering picking them up. I have though seen a pair of mission 761 that I remember in a demo sounding particularly good in 1989. But they don't have the same aesthetics as these do. Have you heard the 761 and how would you say the 717 sounds compared to others.

    ReplyDelete