Translate

Thursday, November 26, 2015

Sound Dynamics 500 Concert Monitors finished.

The Sound Dynamics 500 Concert Monitors were finished this week but not without a bunch of extra delicate work.



I choose to use black foam surrounds as I like the look better than the red foam that were original.

The crossover got two new Solen caps in 3.3uf and 4,7uf value. The build quality is pretty good as there is a brace from the front baffle to the rear baffle.


I was all ready to audition these speakers through the tube amp only to find out the right tweeter was non functional. These horn tweeters with the black face are hard to come by and I did not want to buy a silver one from Ebay as they would not match.

I opted to take the horn tweeter apart and carefully remove the old voice coil. I found a donor voice coil from another pair of tweeters kicking around.



It was a very delicate operation to get the two very thin wires from the new voice coil to attach to the leads on the tweeter. Once I got them soldered I used model glue to attach the new voice coil to the diaphragm.
After several attempts I got the tweeter centered and working.

I really like these speakers when paired to the tube amp, I believe the sensitivity is north of 95db @ 1 watt so they sound nice and full when powered by the tubes.

Aesthetically I think they are gorgeous, the bottom end is full and the compression horn tweeters are spot on.

4 comments:

  1. Where can I buy the foam for replacement? I have the same speakers and all the edges around the main speaker has crumbled - speakers still work though.
    Thanks,
    Darren

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where can I buy the foam for replacement? I have the same speakers and all the edges around the main speaker has crumbled - speakers still work though.
    Thanks,
    Darren

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I picked mine up locally at Main Street Electronics, if you can not find them locally, EBay is a source.

      If you get a chance try and connect these speakers to a tube amp. You will be blown away.

      Delete