Translate

Saturday, October 18, 2014

Paradigm 3Se Mini Speakers

This is my fifth pair of Paradigm 3SE Mini speakers that I have owned and I am always amazed at how their big sound belies their little size.


This pair came with Peerless SC-165 woofers which I took out and put in Vifa woofers from a donor pair of Mission 70 speakers and they work perfectly.


I also recapped the crossover with a poly film cap to open up the top end.

These speakers are one of my favorite 2 way speakers with 61/2 inch woofers and they happen to be my favorite out this era's Paradigm line up. These speakers sound way bigger than they are and are a joy to listen too.


11 comments:

  1. I have two pairs of the SE3-minis. Just a pleasure to listen to. Someone in the early 90s told me to buy them telling me that they were one of the most accurate speakers made at the time. He worked for some Canadian audio evaluation agency/company. I just bought my second pair yesterday. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a pair of SE3-minis that need repair. The shop is asking $180 to fix them up. Would any recommend doing this? Or is it not worth the money? Thanks!

      Delete
    2. I have a pair of SE3-minis that need repair. The shop is asking $180 to fix them up. Would any recommend doing this? Or is it not worth the money? Thanks!

      Delete
    3. I have a pair of SE3-minis that need repair. The shop is asking $180 to fix them up. Would any recommend doing this? Or is it not worth the money? Thanks!

      Delete
    4. $180 seems a little steep, but who am I to question their shop rates.

      These speakers are worth repairing, easier and cheaper if you know how to do it yourself

      Delete
  2. If you still have the SC-165 drivers would you want to sell them?
    Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  3. I sold the SC-165 woofers a while back.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why the woofer change, I can't imagine mine sounding better?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Why the woofer swap? hard to imagine mine sounding any better.
    I'm a little late with question but curious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought these with a set of Peerless woofers that the previous owner swapped in, knowing hat the Peerless woofers have a good resale value on Ebay I sold them and had a pair of mission woofers to put in, I agree the original ones do sound the best.

      Delete
  6. Thanks for reply, sorry for double post. What do you think about double bracing the cabinets? I use a massive amount of blue tack between stands and cabs still feel a lot of vibration.

    ReplyDelete