Translate

Thursday, June 26, 2014

B&W D5 Speakers

I picked up a pair of B&W D5 speakers on speculation that they might turn out to be incredible gems and I was right. These are the entry level B&W speakers modeled after the DM5's but only smaller and do they light up the room.



Diminutive in size but not is sound, they give my ADS L420's a serious run for the money and actually sound a little sweeter. The size is quite small but the bass is completely full and the stereo imaging is spot on, these really are a loudspeaker that will be staying for awhile.

The real teak cabinets will get a make over and if I find any electrolytic caps in them I will replace them. I paid the upper end of my budget for these after I found out the seller is an acquaintance, he needed the money.

 
I have had these for a full 24 hours and can not rave enough about them.

6 comments:

  1. Hi,
    I am glad you have discovered these speakers and you are giving them high notes. I also love them. Did you struggle a lot in finding right placement of them in room? What gears you have them hooked up with?
    cheers
    Pawel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Running them with a Myryad T-40 amp which drives them perfectly. I also have them on 2 foot stands about 7 feet apart and 1 foot from the back wall.

      Gotta love em...

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. Hello again. I just wanted to share with you further my experience with B&W D5. I got a grip of Myryad T-40 to be able to make a reference to your set up and my staple amps - Proton 520 or NAD 3020 (for playing jazz or pop) and Cambridge A&R A60 (for guitar rock/heavy rock). I also listen LPs through them. Myryad is at least a class higher than them. One can hear that in the resolution, detail, clearance, smoothness etc. But the former two are more joyful, more dynamic, create more tanagible, airborne music especially in the midrange. This music is big especially in drums and dense in guitar (A&R A60), also airy - Proton. I way more enjoy D5 with my staple amps than with Myryad. Try them. And take care!

      Delete
  2. Great! I have them at longer distances: 9 between, 3 feet away from the back wall. In this setup they step into the room invasive (1/3 of the distance between front and back wall). But in that placement they don't shift bass up too much, are more 3D and display beautiful and well attacking middle range (especially snare drums are aggressive and sound tangible). I power them by nad 3020 and Turntable with old goldring g900.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also got a pair of D5 from my very good friend. He gave them to me to listen as long as I want. One tweeter didn't work, something inside it was disconnected. I got it fixed and it was amazing...! I don't have much but for what I have, this is great. I have it hooked up to a Technics 7700ii amplifier. Great for jazz and relaxing music.

    ReplyDelete