Translate

Friday, June 27, 2014

Advent 5012

When I went to pick up the ADS L420's a few weeks back the seller threw in a pair of Advent 5012's for a reasonable price. They needed work though.

The Advent 5012, from what I gather are the last rendition of the large Advent and the best with the soft dome tweeter. These speakers are large, larger than the Pioneer HPM-60's and larger than the JBL L26's.

These speakers needed a re foam on the woofers, bracing on the inside cabinet, sanding and a new coat of Minwax and crossover work along with new speaker terminals.

Here is how they ended up.



So far I have really enjoyed these speakers, the 10" woofer goes as deep as the JBL L26's I just recently had but the dome tweeter just images way better.

I have read lots of stuff on the Large Advent and the consensus is this is the best out of the lot.

I did do a few tweaks tot he cabinet and installed a brace at the weakest point of the front baffle.


I tried changing the 7uF and the 32uF series cap into a single 5.6uF but found I was blowing the fuses, this aspect of the crossover still needs some work. My best option is sourcing polyester caps of the original value and going the series route.

Update: I have since returned the crossover to the original cap values in series using polyester film caps (7uf) and a Solen electrolytic cap in the 33uf value. 


This is the third pair of Advent to date, I once had a pair of Advent 2/W's and a pair of 2002 of which I swapped the EPI tweeters for.


Woofer re foam

7 comments:

  1. What amps did you pair with the Advent 5012 speakers? I inherited a pair from my Uncle and getting them refoamed and repaired by a professional. Just wondering what amp would match well with the Advents. I have a solid state Class AB amp and a Class D type amp.

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was using a Myryad T-40 intergrated amp. Try both amps and see which one sounds better. A push pull tube amp would make the Advent sing.

      Delete
  2. Very Beatiful Speakers, I Like It (Chile)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dave Fletcher
    I too have a set of Advent 5012 speakers. I purchased these from Commercial Electronics in Vancouver in May of 1988 for $500. At the time they were certainly of the best around especially for the money and they reproduced all forms of music incredibly well. Incidentally the reason I am commenting here is because I still own and listen to them almost every day. As well I purchased and partnered them with a new Denon 3030 Optical Class A Integrated Amplifier running 110 watts of very clean sound to all 5 channels discretely. I am still using that setup today with the same incredible results.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I converted my curb score NLA to 5012's because they already had the 25th anniversary soft dome tweeters. I refoamed, recapped, regrilled and refinished them and they have stayed around while ADS L-520's, L-1290's came and went. I love ADS and wish I hadn't sold the 520's at least, but the Advent's had a wider range with lower bass and sounded every bit as detailed. I actually run them with an 8wpc EL34 SE tube amp and I hear no distortion and deep bass.
      I think the 5012s outperform AR2aX's that I've heard as well. I'll never sell these.

      Delete
  4. dave, where did you get your surrounds from.. thanks
    calvin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to get them from Main Street Electronics in Vancouver. They are now closed. So I have been buying on Ebay from audiodogs, they are in Canada and have reasonable shipping.

      Delete