Translate

Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Myryad T-40 amplifier

I traded a pair of Energy 22 speakers for a Myryad T-40 amplifier from the late 1990's. The Rotel 840-BX has been a staple amplifier in my system since I bought it new in 1985. Like the Rotel the Myryad is straight line design with no tone controls.

The Rotel was rated at 40 watts per channel with 8200uf caps and the Myryad is rated at 50 Watts per channel with 10,000uf caps, providing the same headroom or a bit more.

The sound with the Myryad is very similar to the Rotel on the bottom and high end but the Myryad seems a little more fuller in the midrange and perhaps a little more control in the bass.

So far I have paired the Myryad up with the Pioneer HPM-60's, the Dual CL390's, the Paradigm Control Monitors and the Mission 770's. Of course the amplifier brings out the best in the Mission 770's and the Dual CL390's.

To my ears I hear the extra detail in the music with the Myryad amp. Being close to 30 years old the Rotel amp will be sent off for a refresh, replacing the caps at this point in it's life.


No comments:

Post a Comment